Thursday, June 18, 2009

Some quick news

Nothing really new to report, which I guess is a good thing. Some quick notes:

1. My wife was finally able to talk with our son's counselor about the long-term plan for our son. This is very much a reward type system. The better he does, the more priveledges and freedoms he gets. He has ALOT of work and self re-discovery to do. The agreed to look closer at the meds he is taking as well, as he is exhibiting some side effects that are a little upsetting.

2. I think knowing that we have a plan now for him, which of course can change depending on situations, has made me feel better this since the weekend. Last Friday's visit bothered me more than I thought, but once my wife was able to finally have a meaningful conversation with our son's counselor and some loose ends were tied up I seemed to have come back down to earth a bit.

3. My wife and I did not go to our parents support group on Tuesday night. Instead, on Wed night we went to our first Al-Anon meeting. Al-Anon is for a group for recovery for friends and family members of alcoholics. Our son is not an alcoholic but you can apply the same twelve-step principals that Al-Anon uses (like AA) to addictions, just change the word alcohol to drugs. The are Nar-Anon groups (for Narcotics) but there are no meetings close by to us. The difference between our parent support group ande Al-Anon is that the PSG helps us help our son, while Al-Anon will help us help ourselves. We need to recover as well. We heard some very sad stories last night, especially from some of the new people who were at the meeting for the first time last night. Both were women a little younger than us, one of which talked about her husband's alcohol problem and the other about her husband's cocaine problem.

That's it for now. We have our next meeting with our son tomorrow night (Friday) at a family session. I am sure I will have something more to say after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment